The Talent Development Hot Seat
Ep 56: Defining Culture and Wowing Employees with Ron Philipps, Chief People Officer of Carnival Cruise Line
In today’s episode, Andy interviewed Ron Phillips. Ron is the Senior Vice President of Human Resources at Carnival Cruise Line based in Miami, FL.
In his role, he oversees shoreside and shipboard human resources for the world’s largest cruise line including talent acquisition, talent management, leadership development, human capital planning, employee engagement, compensation and benefits, and performance management.
Ron has nearly 20 years of HR experience, including a CHRO for the New York Presbyterian Hospital as well as roles at Comcast, Ryder Transportation, and McDonald’s.
He has a B.S. degree from Virginia State University and a law degree from the University of Richmond.
Ron has been featured in many media publications and is a sought-after panelist and speaker.
- Ron's background and how he got to where he is today
- Why he’s interested in the hospitality and service industry
- The challenging industry he worked in from an employee development perspective
- His approach to employee engagement
- Things he did to improve employee engagement
- How he sets up development programs
- The importance of diversity and inclusion
- On the idea that talent is key
- How much change management matters
- What amazes him about the human behaviour
- His greatest accomplishment in talent development
- His biggest mistakes or failures and what he has learned from them
- Trends in HR talent development that he’s paying attention to right now
- Biggest challenge he's facing from the talent development perspective
- Advice to people who want to accelerate in talent and development
For questions, comments and guest suggestions, contact the host, Andy Storch, at firstname.lastname@example.org